Among other areas he has experience in:
- VAT matters including: partial exemption; single and multiple supplies; and reduced rates and exemptions (such as the land exemption and the reduced rate for energy-saving materials);
- IHT matters including Business Property Relief;
- SDLT matters including: substantial performance and contracts providing for conveyance to a third party; and Multiple Dwellings Relief;
- Business rates and council tax;
- Entrepreneurs’ Relief and the Substantial Shareholding Exemption;
- Corporation tax matters including those concerning Double Taxation Conventions;
- Follower Notices and Accelerated Penalty Notices;
- Penalties; and
- Procedural matters and the application of the TMA 1970.
Ed is a member of the Revenue Bar Association, and has previously been a member of the IFS’s Tax Law Review Committee. He accepts instructions to act and advise on the full range of Chambers’ practice areas both as Junior Counsel and on his own.
Amongst other matters, Ed is currently working on cases concerning SDLT, VAT on energy saving materials, and capital allowances. He is also involved in a project concerning the taxation of cryptocurrencies and NFTs.
- 2015-2016: City Law School, City University London; BPTC (Outstanding)
- 2014-2015: City Law School, City University London; GDL (Distinction)
- 2010-2013: Oxford University; BA (Hons) History (Prelims, Distinction)
Scholarships and Prizes:
- 2016: Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2015-2016: Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2014-2015: Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2014: Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
The Medical Defence Union Ltd v HMRC  UKUT 249 (TCC) – the application of the mutual trading principle in Corporation Tax
UPS SGP Ltd and others v HMRC  UKFTT 242 (TC) – a procedural decision concerning the correct Tribunal in which to determine an SDLT appeal
Greenspace (UK) Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 349 (TC) – the application of reduced rate VAT to building supplies
Imprimatur Capital Holdings v HMRC  UKFTT 513 (TC) – VAT case concerning input tax recovery by an investment fund
Cape Industrial Services Ltd and Robert Wiseman and Sons Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 00162– capital allowances on asset leasing and the application of Ramsay
Anna Cook v HMRC  UKFTT 0321 (TC) – application of the private tuition exemption in VAT to dance classes
Romima Ltd (and others) v HMRC  UKFTT 736 – VAT case concerning vouchers
In addition Ed has been instructed:
- In a case concerning VAT partial exemption. Settled before trial;
- On Accelerated Payment Notice matters;
- On a taxpayer Judicial Review; and
- On a VAT matter concerning security for money that settled before trial.