Among other areas he has experience in:
- VAT matters including: partial exemption; single and multiple supplies; and reduced rates and exemptions (such as the land exemption and the reduced rate for energy-saving materials);
- IHT matters including Business Property Relief;
- SDLT matters including: substantial performance and contracts providing for conveyance to a third party; and Multiple Dwellings Relief;
- Business rates and council tax;
- Entrepreneurs’ Relief and the Substantial Shareholding Exemption;
- Corporation tax matters including those concerning Double Taxation Conventions;
- Follower Notices and Accelerated Penalty Notices;
- Penalties; and
- Procedural matters and the application of the TMA 1970.
Ed is a member of the IFS’ Tax Law Review Committee and has assisted the research director in that role. He is also a member of the Revenue Bar Association.
Ed accepts instructions to act and advise on the full range of Chambers’ practice areas both as junior counsel and on his own.
Amongst other matters, Ed is currently working on cases concerning SDLT, VAT on energy saving materials, and Accelerated Payment Notices. He is also involved in a project concerning DAC 6.
- 2015-2016: City Law School, City University London; BPTC (Outstanding)
- 2014-2015: City Law School, City University London; GDL (Distinction)
- 2010-2013: Oxford University; BA (Hons) History (Prelims, Distinction)
Scholarships and Prizes:
- 2014: Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2014-2015: Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2015-2016: Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- 2016: Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn
HMRC v Payne (and others)  UKUT 0090 (TCC) – taxable benefits for Income Tax
Tower Resources v HMRC  UKFTT 442 – VAT input tax recovery by a UK holding company
Anna Cook v HMRC  UKFTT 0321 (TC) – application of the private tuition exemption in VAT to dance classes
In addition Ed has been instructed:
- on a capital allowances case concerning asset leasing. Decision pending;
- on a VAT case concerning vouchers. Decision pending;
- in a case concerning VAT partial exemption. Settled before trial; and
- on Accelerated Payment Notice matters.